Union Poll Shows Freshmen Favor Lamont Changes

Dissatisfied with the present hours of Lamont Library, three out of every four freshmen would favor two additional hours every evening, a poll taken by the Freshman Union Committee recently indicated.

On the basis of incomplete tabulations, 172 Yardlings indicated they would like longer hours every night but Sunday and 274 would favor Sunday night. Only 64 were satisfied with the present weekday hours and 113 did not want the addition of two hours Sunday evening.

Another 295 said that they would use extra time on Sunday afternoon to study at the library if it were open, while 97 said that they would not.

Harold A. Bantly '57, head of the special subcommittee to study the library situation, commented that these figures showed a definite trend. He said that as the questionnaires are counted, the group of freshmen which approves of the present hours equals the group which disapproves of them.

Time Change

The purpose of the poll is to find out if a sufficient need exists to change the library schedule. Bantly felt that the figures show such need does exist.

The committee will examine the reasons for the short hours and try to determine whether or not they are sufficient to outweigh the need. It will also study library systems of other universities.

The complete survey will go to the Student Council