Graduate School May Need Rooms For Housing Men

Boarding facilities at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences may have to be added in the near future if the demand for dormitory rooms continues at its present rate, Kenneth M. Sayre, assistant dean, warned yesterday.

"So far, we have been able to absorb this increased demand," he explained, "but if the rate continues, it might be necessary to construct additions to the dormitory system." At present, there are only a few of the 470 housing units left unoccupied in Richards and James Halls, bufit three years ago.

No additions are planned immediately, he added.

"If the demand for rooms continues to increase, we will be in a bad fix," Sayre said. He foresaw little decrease in the demand for dormitory rooms at present.

Dormitory Costs Stable

Nearness to the classrooms, stable ents, and more foreign students are actors in the popularity of the dorms, Sayre explained. Many of the students prefer to be near the classrooms and to the dining hall at Harkness Commons, rather than to live outside the campus. Also, dormitory room costs have remained constant in the face of rent increases in furnished rooms.

Sayre called the increase in the number of foreign students, who board in university dormitories, another factor in the present rooming situation.