Two-Timing the Governor

Based on political notions that no longer hold true, Massachusetts' two-year term for the governorship may be on the way out. In his annual message, Governor Herter asked that it be lengthened to four. Several days ago, the Governor underlined his proposal by announcing his candidacy for re-election, with scarcely half his term complete.

Today, laws generally originate in the executive branch of state government. The governor is a planner; his job is to build a legislative program and guide it through the General Court. Aware of how little he can do in two years, he must start his second term electioneering right away. This makes great demands on his time and energy, especially in a state as closely contested as Massachusetts. The two-year term is a handicap to the voter as well. Too often election time finds most of the governor's program still incomplete, leaving the public without sufficient evidence to make a thoughtful choice.

Advocates of a short term maintain that the governor must be kept responsible, now more than ever, because he has become an initiator of legislation. But they fail to see that the legislature, and especially the lower house, which must go to the voters every other year, is the real force in keeping the Governor in check. By accepting or throwing out his proposals, they limit and supplement the executive's law-making power.

The present system has continued mainly because politicians of both parties have found it to their advantage. Four years is too long a time for a restless politician to cool his heels out of office. For this reason they have bluntly opposed any tampering with the system to improve administrative efficiency.

The four-year term for which the Governor has asked is hardly a new or untried plan. In other states, such as New York and Pennsylvania, it has allowed for the development of the strong executive that an industrial state needs.

Since the list of things that government is expected to do has grown considerably over the last twenty years, old institutions must often be streamlined to work properly. If Massachusetts is to have effective government, it must grant its chief officer the temporary insulation from politics that a four year term provides.