Council Approves Taffrails After Constitution Change

By William W. Bartley iii

The Student Council yesterday approved the Taffrail Club after its president submitted a new constitution, which removed objectionable clauses on compulsory dues paying and membership.

At the same time, Clifford L. Alexander '55, Council president, stated that similar organization in the Air Force and Army ROTC units--previously approved by the Council in spite of compulsory clauses in their constitutions--were talking with the Dean's Office and "would probably change their rules." If not, "they may be brought up for reconsideration."

Under the new rules, submitted by Robert L. Jenkins '54, president of the Taffrail Club, dues and membership are not compulsory. Jenkins added, however, that "membership in the club is favored by the Navy officers. It shows your office qualities in that you are looking out for the interest of the group." He said that non-membership is looked upon as the "same as not going to drill." "Actually," noted Jenkins, "membership is voluntary only up to the point where you join the unit."

He assured the Council members that NROTC members who do not join will not get demerits.

Alexander explained to Council members that they were passing on the official constitution as such. "We do not have any control over what they may do within the limits of their constitution. Many strange things are done in Harvard organizations within the constitutional limits."

Last Monday evening the Council had decided to postpone approval of the association until it had time to confer with Dean Watson and Taffrail members about the compulsory clauses. During the past week the Taffrail Club altered their rules in order to comply with a Council and Dean's Office demand, made Wednesday, that changes in the constitution be made if the Club wished to be recognized by the University.