Friedrich Warns U.N. of Arab War Threat to Israel

The United Nations should investigate the Saudi Arabian government on the basis of a press conference with King Ibn Saud held three weeks ago, Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government, declared Saturday.

According to the New York Times, Saud had said, "We ought to be able to man 10,000,000 to wipe out Israel, and if 5,000,000 are sacrificed, it is worthwhile."

Friedrich addressed the National Conference of the American Christian Palestine Committee in Washington. He recalled the Saudi Arabia is a member of the United Nations, which is committed to prevention of war.

After speaking with the Arabs whom he knew, Friedrich was convinced that Saud's position on Israel was not the sentiment of the majority of the Arabian people. "But Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, but a monarchy," he warned.

Saud's plans "should be made the basis of an inquiry on the part of the United Nations, because, if they are true, they constitute a challenge to the very foundations of world order under law. This raised serious doubts as to whether Saudi Arabia, could continue to be considered a peace-loving nation," he explained.

"Since Israel may be considered the baby of the United Nations, this group should be particularly concerned with its welfare," he added.

The similarity between Saud's declaration of Arabian attitude toward Israel and Mussolini's threats of war against Greece in 1922 caused Friedrich to fear that a move toward increased power by Saud might be forthcoming.