Varsity Ski Team to Compete In McGill's Carnival Today

If the ski team were at full strength, Coach Graham Taylor would rate it as a possible top team in today's McGill Carnival at San Sanveur, Quebec. But, because of four key injuries, the team has little hope of topping the field, which is led by favored McGill, the host team.

The Crimson will compete against Cornell, M.I.T., St. Michaels, Laval (a Canadian University), University of Montreal, and the Dartmouth "B" team, which won the Norwich Carnival last week, defeating host Norwich.

The injuries began when number one nordic event competitor, Captain Hans Vitzthum suffered a dislocated shoulder before the Eastern Divisional championship meet. Despite his loss, the team took second in the meet, thus clinching a place in the Senior Divisional Championships in March.

The week after losing Vitzthum, the team lost its number one alpine man, Harry Gardner, and nordic competitors Chris Ingraham and Fred Churchill and finished sixth in a field of seven.

Ingraham Out With Cold

Versatile Pete Churchill, Fred's brother, will enter both the nordic and the alpine combined events. The nordic event consists of the jump and the cross country, and the alpine comprises the slalom and the downhill.

(A ski meet consists of six events, the jump, cross country, slalom, and downhill, and the two combined events, the alpine and nordic.)

Entered along with Churchill in the nordic events are Jack Vohr and Ebbe Dane. Tentatively entered in the jump is Lindsay Fischer, who last week placed second in the USEASA Junior Cross Country and Combined Championships at Salisbury, Conn. Whether or not be competes depends on the condition of Ingraham, now sidelined with a cold.

Little Practice Possible

In the alpine combined, behind Churchill, are Dane, Daryl Hawkins, and Noel Scullin. Scullin, who is rated number two in these events to Gardner, placed 20th in a field of 87 in the Williams Carnival last Sunday.

So far this year, the team has shown the effects of lack of practice. During the Christmas vacation, when the team usually practices hardest, there was too little snow. Consequently, its only practice has been in its meets. The Crimson hasn't won one yet this year.

Next Saturday, Taylor will take his seven cross country "runners" to Berlin, N.H., for the International Cross Country 11-Mile Championships. He plans to tune them up for the all-important Senior Divisional Championships, March 6.