Five Underdog, Six Favored at Nassau Today

Sextet Tries for Fourth Straight Pentagonal Win Against Tigers

Fog and goalie Blair Torrey may rise up again this year to check the varsity hockey team's quest for the Pentagonal crown. Even without the fog shrouding Hobey Baker Rink, if Tiger Torrey is on, the Crimson can expect to have a very rough time at Princeton this afternoon.

Torrey, who kicked out almost 80 Crimson shots as a sophomore and who led last year's Pentagonal championship team in the mist to a 3 to 1 victory at Princeton, is back in the nets again this year, as captain. As he goes, so go the Tigers.

The Princeton goalie went very well against Brown, and the Tigers edged the Bruins, 2 to 1. He went not so well against Dartmouth and the Indians skinned the Tigers, 9 to 0. The Crimson's hope is that he stops completely tonight.

The Orange and Black forward wall is composed chiefly of sophomores and is of questionable strength. But Torrey will have two big, experienced defensemen, Dick Court and Derek Price in front of him. Last year, Price scored one of the Tiger goals against the varsity at Nassau.

A victory tonight will give the Crimson an even tighter grip on the Pentagonal lead. While the remaining four teams in the League have been alternately beating each other, the varsity has twice downed Dartmouth and once topped Brown. Yale, with a 3-2 Pentagonal record is in second place.

Still smarting from last Monday's loss to B.C., the Crimson will be at full strength for tonight's encounter. Bill Cleary, who has two games under his skates now and should be rounding into top form, again teams with Captain Normie Wood and Dick Clasby on the first line.

The third line will have Ned Bliss back at wing with Frank Mahoney and Jeb Bray, while Doug Manchester, Joe Crehore, and Scott Cooledge make up the second line.

Sophomore Charlie Flynn will be in the goal behind defensemen Jeff Coolidge and Ed Mrkonich.

In the preliminary game on Baker Rink at noon, the freshman sextet, shaken by two defeats at the hands of high school level teams during the past week, will meet the Tiger's weak '57 team.