Ford Foundation Gives $25 Million For New Studies

A $25,000,000 grant made by the Ford Foundation Saturday will augment research here and at other universities in the country. The Fund for the Advancement of Education, a subsidiary of the Foundation, received the allocation to continue its experiments in education.

The Fund will spend the new grant, the largest single appropriation in the Foundation's history, in the next eight to twelve years "to continue its programs with schools, colleges, and universities," according to Henry Ford, II, chairman of the foundation.

"The Fund's purpose has been to authorize basic studies concerning contemporary goals in education and educational procedures and to encourage experimentation for which no machinery or funds are available at present," Clarence H. Faust, president of the Fund, explained.

Unlike most foundations, the fund does not contribute to endowments, building programs, or operational expenses of institutions.

At present, the fund sponsors several projects here. Research is being done at the Law School and the School of Education. Next month, a group including Dean Edward S. Mason of the School of Public Administration will leave for Pakistan on a project to develop a sound economic program for that state.

Alumni serving as trustees of the foundation are: John Cowles, president of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune; Dean Donald K. David of the Business School; John J. McCloy LL.B. '21, former High Commissioner to Germany, who gave the Godkin Lectures last year; and Judge Charles E. Wyzanski, Jr. '27, president of the Board of Overseers.