Never Judge A Book ..

As a part of National Negro History Week, which is supposed to remind people of the proud contributions of Negroes to this country, Lamont Library has put in one of its showcases a number of recommended readings. One of them is "The Negro and the Democratic Front," written in 1936 by James W. Ford, from which a few typical quotations are reprinted:

"In the United States today, we Communists propose to aid the renaissance in the life of the Negro people. We aim to unite the Negro people in a struggle for civil rights, manhood status, for the fullest cultural advancement." (p. 88)

"It is a glorious thing to learn that Negro women are clamoring to join the Communist Party. They are beating at our doors. I think it is a fine thing!" (p. 94)

"The American Communist Party is proud to honor the memory of these three heroes of American unity: Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, and Frederick Douglass. We are proud that the men most honored in our country were revolutionists. . . ." (p. 137)

A book like this has a place in a library, if only to show how neatly the Communists try to wrap themselves in the heroes and aspirations of the people they are trying to seduce. But it is hardly proper reading for Negro History Week, since it represents neither Negro history nor sympathies. For example, the year the book came out, the self-same Mr. Ford, running for Vice-President on the Communist ticket, polled about 2,000 votes in Harlem. Roosevelt got slightly over 150,000.

Perhaps the next time Lamont librarians decide to recommend a book, they might read it first.