Ford Foundation to Sponsor Economic Plan for Pakistan

Dean Mason Heads 18-Month Endeavor

An eight-man team of international experts, sponsored by the Ford Foundation and picked by the School of Public Administration, will probably embark for Pakistan sometime in March in an effort to draw up a much-needed economic program for the state.

The entire project is being directed by Dean Edward S. Mason of the School of Public Administration and his chief aide, David E. Bell, a former economic adviser to ex-President Truman. It calls for a group of six economists, one engineer, and one expert in pubic administration to spend a period of 18 months in Pakistan on a full time basis teaching the Pakistanis how best to spend their money and furnishing technical information to them.

"Pakistan is a terribly big problem," said Bell. "It consists of two pieces, 1000 miles apart, and the average annual income for a population of 80 million is about $70. The people, however, are extremely eager to move up the economic scale."

Consultants Will Serve

Bell and Mason visited Pakistan for several days during last November, and Bell will serve as one of the six economists on the team. In addition to the eight men, who will work on a full-time basis, several men will serve as consultants for a six week to three month period, including John D. Black, Henry Lee Professor of Economics, Emeritus, and Wasslly W. Leontief, Black's successor to the seat.

The names of the eight men, including some Canadians and one New Zealander, could not be revealed at this time. Bell and Mason are planning a trip to New York Tuesday, however, to sign the final contracts with the Ford Foundation, and the identities of the eight will probably be made known than.

Application of Resources

The problem in Pakistan, Bell pointed out, is the proper application of her natural resources, including both the natural wealth furnished by minerals and also the foreign and private capital interested there. The team is taking an engineer along in order to adequately handle problems involving bridge-building and power projects.

As soon as the final contracts are signed, Bell and the other seven men will move with their families to Karachi, capital of Pakistan.