Navy Quintet Favored to Top Varsity Five In I.A.B. Test Tonight

After successfully and successively sinking his teeth into a Bulldog, a Tiger, a Judges, and a Jeff, John Harvard may at last be biting off more than he can chew when he meets a powerful navy varsity basketball team on the I.A.B. court at 8:30 tonight.

The game will pit the offensive prowess of the Middies, who walloped Pittsburgh, 108 to 73, earlier this week against the tight defensive play of the crimson, which currently leads the East in that department. If the varsity is able to hold Navy, it should be able to stop anybody, for tonight's opponent may well be its toughest of the season.

All five starters for the Midshipmen are two-year lettermen, who participated in wins over the Crimson the past two seasons. Local fans will remember only too well one of the regulars, John Clune.

Clune is averaging over 22 points this year, as is 6 ft., 5 in., Don Lange, and their coach considers them "two of the best basketball players in the country." This high-scoring due led Navy to a 57 to 54 win over the Crimson in the 1951-53 season and an easy 85 to 62 victory last year. The Middies held a 30-point lead at the end of the third quarter, and then reserves completed the slaughter in the latter game.

In a 6:30 p.m. preliminary to the varsity contest, coach Floyd Wilson's undefeated freshman basketball team will seek its eighth win of the season against a tough Exeter five.