Collins to Attempt Ban On Drinking at Smoker

Chief Will Also Try To Prohibit Smoking

Cambridge Fire Chief John F. Collins, one of the three members of the three members of the City License Board, charged yesterday that he will do everything in his power to prevent smoking and drinking in Memorial Hall at the 57 Smoker to be held early in March.

There is not and cannot be smoking or drinking in Mem Hall," the Chief said. "In accordance with the policy set in past years, the licensing board will not grant permission for bear, since the Massachusetts law says that serving of drinks to minors, persons under 21, is illegal."

Mem Hall Fire Hazard

The chief affirmed that as far as he knew the Smoker has never been granted a license in past years. He surmised that they "went ahead and had it anyway." He further found fault with the wooden interior of Memorial Hall, and said that with such a great risk involved he saw no chance of smoking being permitted.

Last year Collins made no objection to smoking in the building but the board did refuse the committee the permit to buy beer wholesale. Another member of the board, Chief of Police Patrick J. Ready last year warned the committee that the Smoker could not legally serve beer to minors. However, he took no action when the annual gathering was listed as a "private party" and beer was served.

20 Kegs Already Bought

Committee members indicated last night that they had already purchased 20 kegs of beer and that they would again attempt to hold the Smoker as a "private party" in order to serve the beverage. The committee, however, had no plans for securing the necessary smoking permit.

Gordon A. Martin, Jr. '57, chairman of the Smoker Committee, said that he would meet with Collins today and he hoped the chief would change his mind. The Smoker is tentatively set for March 9.