Sen. Flanders Accepts Bid to Address HYRC

Club Stands Behind McCarthy Opponent

Sen. Ralph E. Flanders (R-Vt), who severely attacked Sch. Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis.) in a speech on Tuesday, last night accepted an invitation from the Harvard Young Republican Club to address their organization some time this spring.

Yesterday's telegram inviting Flanders here marks a clarified stand for the H.Y.R.C. in the College political controversy over McCarthy and a direct backing of the Eisenhower Administration's rebuke of the Wisconsin Senator.

The message, sent by John W. Stephens '55, president of the club, congratulated Flanders for his "wise, well-reasoned, and constructive approach to a complex problem," and welcomed his "injection of rationality into this discussion."

Senator Flanders in his Tuesday speech called McCarthy "a one-man party" who is "doing his best to shatter" the G.O.P.

Contacted at his home in Washington last night, Flanders thanked the H.Y.R.C. for their "very nice telegram" inviting him here "at a convenient time in the future." He said, "I definitely do want to accept the invitation, and will be able to some time this spring."

Flanders said he could not give a definite date for the speech until be had checked with his office, but that it would probably be on a weekend.

The Vermont Senator's speech has been considered an important Administration attempt to weaken McCarthy and promote Republican Party unity. President Eisenhower yesterday thanked Flanders for emphasizing in his address the "great danger" of "personal aggrandizement" and a split in G.O.P. ranks.

Flanders last night, in acknowledging the H.Y.R.C.'s invitation, stated that the "one-man party" of McCarthyism has "a good deal of vitality within a radius of 400 miles of Chicago.

"But the Senator has made it plain that if he is to join with the President, the President must do exactly what he (McCarthy) says," Flanders continued. "This is of course an impossible condition," he declared.

Flanders further stated that "the events of the past few days seem to constitute a turning point in the McCarthy issue." These events have included, besides Eisenhower's approval of Flanders speech, the refusal of the CBS and NBC networks to give McCarthy radio time to answer an address made Saturday by Adlai E. Stevenson.

Frederick William '55, president of the Young Democratic Club, said last night he was "cynical about Republican policies in general," and would not yet take the Flanders invitation as a sure sign that the H.Y.R.C. Is "doing something against McCarthy."

William Tuesday night told the Young Republicans to decide "whether McCarthy is an evil product of the Democrats or an asset of the G.O.P.