New Conservative Club May Be Anti-Red Front

Kenneth D. Robertson '29 Believed Linked With Group's Pro-McCarthy Organizer

By John J. Iselin

Formation of a front organization through which students would spy on suspected Communists among University students and faculty appeared imminent yesterday, even though such purposes were denied by Quinlan. Shea '56, organizer of the new group.

Shea an active McCarthy supporter, revealed last night he was organizing a club of "New Conservatives" and would present the group's charier to the Student Council within the next two weeks. Shea said he had more than the required ten charter members.

The purpose of the organization according to Shea, will be merely to present the Conservative side in Liberal Conservative debates."

But Shea last night admitted he was "a terrific friend" of local anti-Communist Kenneth D. Robertson '29, vociferous advocate of an organization to ferret out Communists at Harvard.

Robertson Wants Group

Robertson recently announced the wanted to organize a group at the University similar to the growing, pro-McCarthy "Students for America. This group located in increasing numbers of American universities, openly advocates spying on students and teachers suspected of communistic leanings.

Shea was the undergraduate who tried to present a deodorized skunk to Owen D. Lattimore when the Johns Hopkins professor spoke in New Lectures Halt on March 2. Following the action, Robertson commended the action. It is known that Robertson has met regularly with Shea.

Although Robertson told reporters there would be a large demonstration against Owen Lattimore before his speech a week and a half ago, Shea and a deodorized skunk were the only demonstrators outside New Lecture Hall.

Robertson commended Shea's attempt to present the skunk to Lattimore. It is known that Robertson has me regularly with Shea.

Shea, an Adams House resident has denied there was any connection between Robertson and the "New Conservatives." "He's a terrific friend of mine, but he has no connection with the organization," the sophomore asserted.

He farther denied that the club would necessarily support Senator Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis), although he "wished it would."

We are set a McCarthy fan club," he continued. "We have an ideological purpose whose exact nature will not be determined until we meet together."

Shes expects to attract future members from the Harvard Young Republicans and Southern Democrats