Von Stade Defends Smoker Despite 2 Serious Accidents

Two University officials yesterday defended the annual Freshman Smoker as a worthwhile tradition, despite accidents which hospitalized two students after the '57 Smoker Tuesday night.

F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. '38, Dean of Freshmen, said the Smoker is "a healthy and happy outlet" for the pent-up energies of the winter term. "There is an element of good fellowship in it, and of course it's a fine old tradition," von Stade said.

John Vernon Patrick, Jr. '52, adviser to the Freshman Union committee and proctor in the Yard, said the positive values of Tuesday's Smoker are considerable, and the kind that might occur at any time.

Keep Students from stunts

The Smoker Committee worked very hard on the affair, everyone had a good time in Sanders, and "it was too bad that the two events had to mar an otherwise perfect evening," said Patrick.

The solution is not in discontinuing Smokers and other class affairs, but in keeping boys from attempting dangerous stunts," he added.

The two students injured Tuesday are still hospitalized.

Thomas M. Stout '57 of Wigglesworth and Worcester was reported in fairly good condition at Massachusetts general Hospital, where he is suffering from facial injuries. Stout was hurt Tuesday night when he and some friends coming from the Smoker, tried to set off a home-made firecracker in front of Whitman Hall at Radcliffe. The explosive blew up in Stout's face before he could get out of range.

Brewster A. Righter '57, of Holworthy and Oyster Bay, N.Y., will be released today from Stillman Infirmary, where he has been receiving treatment for a head bruise inflicted in a post-Smoker fight with four or five unidentified young men in the Yard Tuesday.