Freshmen Meet With Pusey, Consider New Adviser Plans

Basic changes in the system of freshman advisers for next year may result from the meeting of President Pusey, freshman administrative officials, and the '57 Union Committee.

The effect of the changes would be to make the relationship between a freshman and his adviser less formal and more personal. This would probably involve increasing the number of advisers who live in the Yard.

The general purpose of the dinner meeting was to explain freshman views on all aspects of Yard life. Chief among the problems discussed was the advising system, with the principal complaint being that under the existing program the freshman's adviser is of little value to him socially or emotionally, but serves only to sign his study cards.

James R. Sikes '57, Chairman of the Union Committee, asserted yesterday that the committee seemed to favor a suggestion that more Yard proctors be given adviser status. He said that proctors, since they live in the entries, eat in the Union, and are usually recent College graduates, can be more helpful to freshmen than most of the present advisers.

According to Richard L. Bushman '55, chairman of the Student Council's Freshman Study Committee, Dean von Stade has already made two recommendations to Dean Bundy about the adviser system.

Bushman explained these recommendations are to have twice as many freshman advisers resident in the Yard and to request the advisers to return to the College in the fall at the start of Orientation Week, so they can meet with their advisees before the first study card meeting.