Wrestlers Place 8th in Easterns; Culbert Wins 4th

Junior Kon Culbert earned three points to finish fourth in the 177 pound class and put the varsity wrestling team in a fourway tie for eighth place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Tournament, held over the weekend at Cornell.

Culbert, the only Crimson wrestler to reach the semi-final round, pinned twice in his early matches. He bowed out, however, to George Beresford of Pittsburgh, the winning team in the tournament, by a last minute pin in the third period in the semi-finals. In the consolation round Culbert lost a 7 to 2 decision to Joe Krufka of Penn State.

Captain Chick Chandler, the only other varsity wrestler to win his first-round bout, dropped a 9 to 7 decision in the quarter-finals to George Ward of Army after matching the Cadet wrestler, point for point, until the last 30 seconds of the third period.

Pittsburgh Tournament Winner

The Crimson tied four ways with Cornell, Rutgers, and Yale, each college earning three points. Pittsburgh, one of the classiest teams in the country, took tournament honors with 37 points. Penn State was second with 25 points.

Crimson wrestlers Ed Moriarity, Phil Horrera, John Ray, and Bob Hook lost by pins, while Frank Baker and heavyweight Pete Morrison dropped first-round decisions.