Council Revives Junior Year Abroad Plan

The Student Council's plan to extend the Junior Year Abroad program, though unanimously rejected on March 3 by the Faculty Committee on Educational Policy, may still partially gain Faculty approval for next year.

Although the Council last night heard Dean Bundy's reasons for the C.E.P.'s rejection of the program, it also learned that steps have been taken to bring the proposal before the full Faculty.

The C.E.P.'s arguments against the plan emphasized than an honors candidate in any field of concentration would miss invaluable College work in the year he spent abroad. A student would also have missed desirable elective courses while preparing to pass the program's stiff language requirement, the Committee felt.

John W. Stokes '54 reported to the Council that at Bundy's suggestion he had spoken with three department heads, and had gotten their promise to discuss the proposal informally with members of their staffs. Stokes is the original author of the plan to extend the foreign study program to nine fields of concentration in addition to the two now included.

Any of the three department heads, Frederick B. Deknatel of Fine Arts, David E. Owen of History, and V.O. Key of Government, could decide to bring the plan to a departmental vote. If passed by one department, it would then come up before the full Faculty, and the C.E.P.'s rejection would not be binding.

The Council last night also passed by a 15 to 1 vote a voting system for the '54 Class Marshall election, March 23. The system is essentially the same as last year's, although there had been two alternate systems proposed and one almost passed last week.