Class of '58 Will Suffer Cut in Scholarship Aid

Upperclass Awards Will Be Unaffected

By Jack Rosenthal

Both the number and the amount of scholarship awards to incoming freshmen "will have to be cut back" to compensate for the unusually large number of scholarship awarded to the present freshman class, Dean Bender announced yesterday.

A greater number of scholarships was offered to prospective members of the Class of 1957 than to the present sophomore class; a higher percentage also accepted awards. As a result, about 50, more present freshmen will quality for upperclass financial awards next semester, allowing a smaller amount for the Class of '58.

If the cut-back in the funds allotted to '58 proves to be insufficient to compensate for last year's increase, Bender is not sure what the solution will be. He hopes that a marginal fund in the scholarship budget will help make up any deficit.

Bender emphasized, however, that "in general, we do not intend to cut back the number of upperclass scholarships, nor change the criteria for awarding them."

More Qualified Applicants

Early applications indicate there will be a greater number of applicants as well as an increase in qualified applicants in the incoming class. Therefore, it will be impossible to determine any exact reduction until May.

In any case, the number of scholarship holders and the value of their awards will definitely drop closer to the level of the Classes of '55 and '56.

The percentage of freshmen on scholarship has risen steadily for the past several years. About 46 percent of '55 began on scholarship, 52 percent of '56, and now '55 percent of '57.