Varsity Squash Team Meets Favored Yale at New Haven

Although undefeated and already crowned national champion, the varsity squash team goes into its match with Yale at New Haven tomorrow a alight underdog.

Even if the match were played at Hemenway this year, the Elis would be rated almost even. They have lost only to Princeton land army, both by 5 to 4 scores and have beaten the Navy team which twice topped Princeton. At New Haven, therefore they rate an edge, especially since a Crimson team has not won at Yale since 1936.

The Bulldogs cannot touch the national championship which the Crimson won by beating Princeton on Saturday, 5 to 4, but they can move into a three-way tie for the Big Three title.

Crimson confidence is high for the meeting, however. Comparative scores, particularly against Princeton, bolster the varsity's hopes. Both number one men in tomorrow's match lost to Princeton's Roger Campbell, but crimson star Larry Brownell pushed Campbell to five games, while Eli Fred Gardner lost in four.

Hadden Tomes for the Crimson and Warren Zimmerman of Yale both topped the Princeton second man, but Thomas is favored tomorrow since he gave up a scant 16 points in his 3 to 0 win. Third man John Rauh lost against Princeton, as did his Yale opponent tomorrow. Captain Mike Ward and Jim Laughlin of Yale both won, but Ward won 3 to 0, Laughlin 8 to 2.

Bill Wister, fifth tomorrow, meets the Yale captain, Dave Workman. Both won against Princeton. Rose is a favorite, having won Saturday, while his Eli opponent lost at Nassan. Paul Garrigue and Guy Paschal, seventh and eighth, both lost. Garrigue's man lost also, but Paschal will face A1 Englander, who won in five games. A1 Stone is favored for the Crimson in the last position since he won, while Phil Nelson, ninth for Yale, lost.

Captain Ben Heckscher will lead the favored freshman squash team against the Harvard Club in Hemenway this afternoon.