Gov. 1B to Continue in Fall Term, Theory Will Be Offered in Spring

This year's experiment in placing Government 1b before 1a, "has sufficiently succeeded to make the change definite," the Government Department announced yesterday.

Thus, Gov. 1b, which deals with both American and European political institutions, will become officially known as Gov. 1a, and will continue to be offered in the fall term.

The spring term will now deal with the theoretical development of constitutionalism and will be designated Gov. 1b. Until this year, the theory course was offered first.

Professors of Government Charles R. Cherington '35, William Y. Elliott, and Carl J. Friedrich, who teach the course, said in a statement issued yesterday that the "Experience in this year's student body has indicated that knowledge of the wide range of institutions and the terminology of government which is covered in Government 1b has been of real assistance to the student in mastering the theoretical development of modern Constitutionalism."

Required for Concentration

In addition to the practical advantages involved in the change, complaints have often been made in the past that the theory half of the course is too difficult for first-term freshmen.

This half, taught by Elliott and now to be given in the spring, deals with political theory, and includes a wide range of study in such political philosophers as Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, and Machiavelli.

The entire course is required of all concentrators in Government. It annually ranks as one of the largest in the College.