C.E.P. Rejects Council's Foreign Study Program

Stokes Says Council May Abandon Study

By Bruce B. Paul

The Faculty Committee on Educational Policy voted Wednesday to reject the Student Council's report on the Junior year foreign study program.

In effect, the failure of the CEP to pass the plan ends any chance for further change in the foreign study program this year. The CEP must approve all proposed changes in policy before the Faculty of Arts and Sciences can consider them.

John W. Stokes '54 said last night that the Student Council will probably abandon any further action on the plan this year.

At present, juniors concentrating in Romance Languages or Germanic Languages can, if they meet the requirements, spend their junior year studying in a foreign university.

Extension to Other Fields

In its report, the Student Council asked the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to extend the plan to nine other fields. This would add the Economics, English, Fine Arts, Government, History, History and Literature, Music, Philosophy, and Social Relations Departments to the program.

Although there has been no official statement from the Committee yet, the CEP probably turned down the plan for several reasons. Many faculty members feel undergraduates do not have adequate language preparation. Secondly, they opposed having juniors study abroad because the College, it is felt, offers the best possible undergraduate training.

Faculty members' chief objection to the program is the lack of integration between the College and foreign universities. It is commonly felt that students are not yet mature enough to meet the complexities of foreign study.

Stokes was disappointed that the CEP has disregarded the Council's refutation of its objections to the plan. Stokes added, however, "We've exhausted every channel of study and the CEP's decision is final."