Alsop defends Businessman's Place In Present republican Government

Political columnist Joseph Alsop '32 defended the Eisenhower administration last night against charges that the businessman has no place in government.

Speaking before a Business school audience of over 200, Alsop stated that members of the business community "who are to a considerable extent the ruling class of America," must enter polities to understand the extremely complex nature of government.

He characterized the present administration as haven grasped every major problem except the all important one of political leadership. Here, Alsop admitted, Senator McCarthy has been permitted to use the executive department as a "private punching bag." "However, I am confident," he added, "that the administration will soon be able to solve this problem."

Approves Defense Cut

The recount cut in the defense budget, Alsop said, recognized the fact that the military cannot have an unlimited draw on the nation's finances and manpower. However, where the defense budget falls seriously short, he continued, is in its lack of support for such projects as the continental defense system and the long range guided missiles program.

The biggest problem facing the American businessman today, alsop continued, is an adjustment to "a government which must exert great power over the business community. The average businessman," he stated, "is still living in the era of little government, believing himself controlled rightfully only by natural laws." This period of little government control ended with the great depression when the power of decision passed from business to government, Alsop said. But most of business has refused to live with the new "big government."

Alsop spoke before a responsive audience at Baker Library in the Graduate school of Business. The meeting was sponsored jointly by the international Relations Club and the business School Student Association.