British Director Burrell to Give Annual Spencer Lecture April 14

John Burrell, one of England's leading theatrical producers and directors, will deliver the annual Theodore Spencer Memorial Lecture in New Lecture Hall on Wednesday, April 14, it was announced yesterday.

Burrell, a native Englishman, is known primarily for his work during the war, when he was one of the three co-directors of the Old Vic. His associates as leaders of the Vic, which is the equivalent of a British national theater, were Ralph Richardson and Laurence Olivier.

Former Spencer lecturers include Arthur Miller, author of "Death of a Salesman"; Broadway director Elia Kazan; and poet-author-playwright T. S. Eliot '09.

The Spencer Lecture foundation was established in 1949 in honor of the late Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory here, who died in the midst of a distinguished career as poet, critic, and scholar. It provides for an annual lecture on a subject connected with the theater.

Burrell has directed Richardson and Olivier in such plays as "Arms and the Man," and during his career has produced or directed practically every classical drama in English literature. In addition he has written introductions for several books on the theater.

Burrell has also done work for the British Broadcasting Company at various times during and since the war. He is presently in this country for a six-month visit.