TV Stand May Be Examined By University

Ivy Group Opposes Policy Allowing NCAA to Run TV

The University will probably re-examine its stand against the NCAA's program for televising football games on a national hook-up, Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics, indicated yesterday.

Since last spring, the University has opposed any program designed to control televising of athletic sports at Harvard.

The new NCAA recommendations announced yesterday are for 12 national telecasts, with regional TV games restricted to Thanksgiving. The Big Ten Conference has already come out against this plan, urging instead its own plan of nine regional and three nation-wide telecasts.

Bolles said that such a re-examination would undoubtedly come from the "new Administration."

Arbitrary Control

Last spring the University virtually severed relations with the NCAA over the TV issue. At that time, all the heads of the Ivy League also indicated deep dissatisfaction with this organization.

As one high University official said, "the Ivy League is definitely opposed to such a powerful association of men who think along professional lines and arbitrarily bind colleges to any and all agreements."

In view of this strong stand and the new Ivy Group agreement, one athletic official last night insisted it was unlikely that Harvard will alter its opposition.

A statement released last spring explained the official University position at that time: "Harvard intends not to be bound by any program restricting its right to decide independently when and to what extent it will televise athletic sports."

Bolles did not say when the University would announce any new stand on the television issue, if and when any is to come.