University Might Inherit Berenson Art Collection

Politics, Policy Bar Definite Statement

By John A. Pope

Rumors that Bernard Berenson '87 might bequeath his internationally famous library and collection of Italian paintings to the University were acknowledged with reservations by John Coolidge '35, director of the Fogg Art Museum, last night.

Berenson, the greatest living authority on Italian art, has the finest collection of Italian renaissance paintings still in private hands. His Villa I Tatti, located a few miles outside Florence, also contains a scholar's library virtually complete in his field, and a collection of photographs unique in the world.

Italian newspapers have reported Berenson as saying that he would like the University to establish a center for the study of Italy's renaissance art and culture there.

Coolidge, who visited Berenson at his villa last summer, admitted the possibility of such a center, but emphasized that the current political situation in Italy made it impossible to consider any definite action on the suggestion. In addition, the Corporation as a matter of policy rarely commits itself in regard to a will, no matter how advantageous its provisions may be, he explained.

No Commitments

"It is clearly evident that Berenson would like to have Harvard run the place," Coolidge said. "Of course, we have all been thinking about it and hoping that it will be possible to develop an institution along the lines he suggests. But no one in his right mind would dare to predict. . . . I cannot make commitments for myself, or for him, or for them (the Corporation)."

Even a slight change in the Italian government might make any such bequest impossible, he explained. A pro-Communist election would bring into power an unfriendly administration which would probably oppose any foreign control of Italian art treasures.

"Actually," Coolidge said, "even a change in a minor post like minister of education under a government of 19th century stability could ruin something like this."