Athletic Department Awards Josy Barthel Major 'H' for Track

Josy Barthel 1G, winner of five out of six indoor mile races this winter, was awarded a major H in track. The Faculty Committee on Athletics presented the Olympic 1500 meter record holder with the award last Friday in recognition of "his extensive service, sportsmanship, and outstanding contributions to track, both at Harvard and in national and international competition."

The following day, Barthel, suffering from a hip injury, lost his first indoor mile of the season. Running against his doctor's orders, the Luxembourg miler finished second, 4.5 seconds behind Northeastern's Dick Ollen, in the South Weymouth Naval Air Station Invitational Track and Field Meet. Barthel's time was 4:21.3, considerably slower than his previous times this season.

Two Win for Varsity

Wins by two varsity track stars compensated for Barthel's poor time. Warren Little won the 440 yard run, while Ed Carter finished first in the 100 yard dash. Little's time was 51.0; Carter's, 10.4.

Bob Twitchell, a sprinter on last year's track team now running for the Newport Officers Candidate School, finished second to Carter in the 100 yard dash. Fred Smith, another varsity runner, placed third.