Varsity Lacrosse Wins One, Loses Four During Vacation

An expected, the Crimson lacrosse team beat Stevens and lost to Maryland, Virginia, Navy, and Princeton on its vacation trip.

Its performances, with the exception of a 21 to 2 debacle at Navy, were nevertheless highly encouraging. In the Virginia game--19 to 14--and the Princeton game--9 to 5--the Crimson was seriously threatening to upset two of last year's top ranking teams. In both games, as Coach Bruce Munro put it, "We ran out of gas." Maryland outclassed the Crimson 15 to 5, but the Crimson made a much better showing than last year's 16 to 0.

Early Injuries

Injuries hit the team early. Jim Telfer was not even able to make the trip because of stomach trouble. Dexter Lewis sprained an ankle in the opening game at Stevens after putting in one of the Crimson goals in the 15 to 8 triumph. That broke up the first midfield. Fred Sharf separated a shoulder the next day against Maryland. That broke up the first defense.

The first midfield then became Karl Bjork, Tod Goodwin, and Fred Horween. At the end of the week these three were still together, but Bjork with novocaine in a sprained ankle, Goodwin with a charley horse, and Horween with a weak ankle. The defense of Tom Crump, Paul Jones, and John Hartwell played every minute of the last three games without a substitute.

Next year Munro says he will either schedule fewer games or cut down the calibre of the opposition.