YOU CAN'T WIN 'EM ALL

The Press

. . . Senator McClellan went to Senator Jackson's office and met Mr. Sears. The three talked for some time. Senator McClellan asked two direct questions:

"Have you ever taken any public position in speeches or statements to the press in regard to Senator McCarthy that might in any way disqualify you?"

Mr. Sears said, "No."

Senator McClellan asked Mr. Sears if his law firm had an clients that might be involved, directly or indirectly, in the controversy.

Mr. Sears said, "No." . . .

Five days later, Mr. Sears was back before the committee attempting to explain away the conflict between what he had said to them and the abundant evidence in Boston newspaper files that he had been a frequent and public support of Senator McCarthy.

Senator McClellan challenged him directly on the two questions he had asked and the negative replies Mr. Sears had given.

"I don't remember meeting you," Mr. Sears declared.

Senators McClellan and Jackson almost sputtered as they reminded Mr. Sears of their private conference and of the walk through the Senate Office Building corridors to Senator Mundt's office. "All three of you walked in here together," Senator Mundt said.

The resignation of Mr. Sears was announced soon thereafter. New York Times, April 11, 1954