Lubell Twins Hit New Red Charge By Cornell Grad

Renewed charges of Communist Party membership levelled against David G. and Jonathan L. Lubell, second-year Law School students, were condemned but unanswered last night by the twins.

John L. Marqusee, who attended the Cornell School of Industrial and Labor Relations with the Lubells, listed them among 22 people he knew to be Communists while he was studying at Ithaca. Marqusee made this disclosure before the N. Y. State House Un-American Activities Subcommittee at Albany on April 7.

In a statement to the CRIMSON last night the Lubells attacked the name-calling but did not deny the charge. "To answer the listing would be to betray principle," they said. "Dr. Einstein . . . called upon the intellectuals to refuse 'to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private lives and political affiliations of the citizens.'

"This duty extends to accusations from these unconstitutional investigations," the Lubells noted. "The attack can come either directly, by subpoena, or indirectly, by the public listing of an informer. In either case the moral obligation of the individual in society . . . is clear. . . . We will not cooperate in the de facto nullification of our Constitution and Bill of Rights."

A year ago the Lubells pleaded the Fifth Amendment before the Jenner Committee in Boston. Last night they noted that the informer's "moral downfall is assured as he relinquishes all principles."