Varsity-M.I.T. Game Opens '54 Baseball Season Today

What Coach Stuffy McInnis believes may be his strongest varsity team in three years will open its regular season this afternoon at M.I.T. Game time is set for 3:30.

The weatherman has promised real baseball weather for the local opener--fair and warm with the temperature in the 60's. With three exhibition games under its belt, the Crimson stands better prepared for the start of a season than it has in any of the last few years.

Andy Ward, the Crimson's strong right hander, winner over Virginia, 9-6, last week, is McInnis' choice this afternoon against the perennially weak Engineers. Number two hurler, sophomore Ken Rossano will probably pitch against Boston University at Braves Field tomorrow.

Encouraged by his team's showing in the South, McInnis will probably use the sophomore-senior infield of John Maher at first base, Art Noyes at second, Ed Krinsky at shortstop, and Ray Maesaka at third. The right side of the infield is all-sophomore, and the left side is all-senior.

Scheer in Center

Captain Dick Scheer will be in center field, flanked by sophomore Bill Cleary in left, and senior Don Butters in right.

Junior George MacDonald will probably open up behind the plate instead of Dick Clasby, who was unable to make the southern journey. Behind these two is "Bing" Crosby, who showed to good advantage in the game against the Quantico Marines with two hits in three at bats and turned in a capable receiving job.

In the bull pen, McInnis has right handers Jim Fitzgibbons and John Arnold.

The Crimson will not start its Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball season until April 22 when it travels to Annapolis to meet Navy.