Varsity Tops Tech Nine, 9-2, Faces B.U. This Afternoon

By William C. Sigal

After crushing a weak M.I.T. team, 9 to 2, in a sloppy game yesterday afternoon at the Engineer field, the varsity nine returns to big league action this afternoon against Boston University. The game at Braves Field will begin at 3:30.

B.U. is the top team in Greater Boston this year, according to area sportswriters. The Terriers are favored to down the varsity, which was ranked third, behind Boston College.

Coach Stuffy McInnis will probably send his number two hurler, sophomore Ken Rossano, to the mound, having used his ace, Andy Ward, against the Engineers.

Ward, who pitched the first four innings, and his successor, Jim Fitzgibbons, allowed the Engineers only three hits, all of the single variety. The varsity could do little better against the slants of the four Tech hurlers, however, as the Crimson batters could pick up only four hits. But 14 bases on balls, two Tech errors, and one each of wild pitches, passed balls, and balks sank the Engineers.

7th Big inning

In its one big inning, the seventh, the varsity poured across five runs on only one hit.

Pitcher Fitzgibbons opened the travesty with a free pass, and after two quick outs, centerfielder Bill Cleary and right fielder Don Butters also drew walks. Another walk, to first baseman John Maher, forced in the first run.

Catcher "Bing" Crosby, the next hitter, tapped one weakly to the mound. Tech pitcher Marshall Rogan threw home rather than to first the ball going past the ear of his astonished receiver. Two more runs counted on the error, which was charged to the catcher. Ray Macsaka, the third baseman, drove in the final two runs with a clean single to left.

Varsity Opens Scoring

The varsity opened the scoring, tallying a singleton in the fourth without a hit. Cleary, who had walked and stolen second, one of the six Crimson thefts of the afternoon, advanced to third on a fielder's choice and was waved in when starting pitcher Al Hauser committed a balk.

Cleary scored again in the sixth on a walk and a long triple against the left centerfield fence by Butters. A sacrifice fly by pinch-hitter Billy Chauncey scored Butters.