The Lonely Crowd

If the discussion gets too heated these days over the Yankees or Bill Buckley's latest diatribe, it is always safe to switch the topic to Harvard's need for a new theatre. If the person is at all interested in cultural matters, the two of you can cluck indignantly over the Corporation's duty to the dramatic arts. If he is not, it means less interruptions. In any event, your concern over the lack of facilities is probably justified.

But a one-nighter which opened yesterday could bring up some ugly doubts. John Burrell, leading figure in the Old Vic and indeed all of British theatre, gave this year's Theodore Spencer lecture. Of the less than 80 people huddled together to hear him, surprisingly few were those familiar faces who have been clamoring so loudly for the new theatre. A vigilant Corporation member could well survey the bleak New Lecture Hall and question whether the demands have been as sincere as they have been frequent. If the dramatic groups are going to get their theatre, they had best start playing the angles. These gentlemen and ladies could do more for their cause by being less artsy and more crafty.