Van Vleck Names Five Men to Fill Science Positions

Five non-permanent science appointments, including two visiting lecturers, were yesterday announced by John H. Van Vleck, Dean of the Applied Sciences.

Sydney Goldstein and Eugene G. Fubini were named the first two Gordon McKay Visiting Lecturers of Applied Science. Fubini will be in residence for the fall term, while Goldstein will spend the entire year here.

This marks the first year that the Applied Science School has named the lectureships in honor of its benefactor, Gordon McKay.

At the same time, McKay named three assistant professors to five year appointments, starting this July.

Dwight W. Batteau was appointed assistant professors of Mechanical Engineering; Andrew R. Long, assistant professor of Metallurgy; and Robert C. Minnick, assistant professor of Applied Mathematics.

McKay Lecturer Goldstein, well-known researcher in the field of fluid mechanics, is at present vice-president of the College of Technology in Haifa. Goldstein, who was a visiting lecturer here in 1952, is expected to give an undergraduate course in mechanics, and an advanced graduate course in hydrodynamics and aerodynamics.