Varsity Tennis Team Expects Close Match At West Point Today

Coach Jack Barnaby expects "a pretty tough match" when his varsity tennis team meets Army in West Point at 2:30 this afternoon. Although it trounced the Cadets, 14 to 1, last year, the Crimson faces the double handicap of weariness from the trip and the strangeness of road courts today.

The Army match is the varsity's sixth of the season and its second in Eastern Intercollegiate League competition. Barnaby's team split its four non-conference contests and tied Navy, 4 to 4, in the only League start.

The Crimson got through these first five matches during spring vacation without the services of first doubles and third singles man Alex Haegler, who will be back in action this afternoon. Missing today, however will be Don Bossart, the number six singles player.

Under these circumstances, the singles lineup facing Army will include Ham Gravem, Captain John Rauh, Haegler, Gene Mann, Brooks Harris, Donn Spencer, Terry King, Herb Stone, Conrad Fischer, and Frank Goodman, in that order. Rauh will pair with Haegler in the first doubles. Although ten singles and five doubles matches will take place, only the first six singles and the top three doubles matches will count in the official League standings.

The other tennis action scheduled for this afternoon, a freshman match at Amherst, has been postponed.