Navy Wallops Nine, 10 to 5, As Rossano Weakens in 8th

ANNAPOLIS. Md., April 22 (Special)--Lack of pitching again caught up with the varsity baseball team today, as it bowed, 10 to 6, to an untouted Navy nine.

The game was closer, than the score, but the loss counts heavily, nonetheless, for it was the Crimson's opening Eastern league game of a nine-game circuit schedule.

Sophomore Ken Rossano started for the varsity, in the ore-armed absence of Andy Ward, and held at least a one-run lead over the Middies through the seventh inning. He tired then, however, and Navy scored two runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 6-to-5 lead.

Rossano weakened badly in the eighth, and Navy added its last four runs, before sophomore reliever Ned Felton could stop the blast.

The Crimson nine continued its consistent hitting despite sagging mound work. Third baseman Ray Maesaka cracked out a single and double, Bill Chauncey collected two singles, and Rossano added two hits, one a run-producing double.

The victory gives the Navy team a 1-1 record: Columbia defeated the Middies, 4 to 4, in the victors' loop opener. Columbia travels to Cambridge Saturday to meet the Crimson at Soldiers Field in a 3 p.m. game.

Krinsky Out

Ward should be back in action, but shortstop Ed Krinsky, who missed the Navy trip because of a leg injury will be out for another three weeks.

Coach Adolph Samborski's freshman nine was more successful in a Cambridge game yesterday, as it whipped Tufts, 11 to 4. Don Repetto scattered sight hits, and received solid offensive support from Bob Nickerson, who cracked out a homer, and Phil Haughey who added a triple.

The junior varsity travels to Dudley the afternoon to meet Nichols Junior Academy. Coach Norm Shepard will probably start Stan Shuman.