Net Team Beats Polar Bears, 9-0

A short-handed Bowdoin tennis team couldn't win a single set on the Soldiers Field courts yesterday afternoon as the varsity rolled to its fourth straight victory, 9 to 0. The triumph was the Crimson's fifth of the season against two losses and a tie.

While the Polar Bears were missing their first and third men, the varsity was handicapped by the absence of its number three player, Alex Haegler, out with a sore stomach muscle. In the first singles, Ham Gravem boat Bill Nieman, 6-4, 6-3, and Captain John Rauh took the second by whipping Skip Howard, 6-1, 6-0.

Crimson Sweeps Doubles

The other Crimson singles winners all of them moved up a notch due to the absence of Haegler--were Brooks Harris, Gene Mann, Donn Spencer, and Don Bossart. Harris lost a total of four games, but none of the others dropped more than two in their matches.

Maynard Canfield and Doug Manchester, Frank Goodman and Mile Levinson, plus Karl Purnell and Mike Ward swept the doubles for Coach Jack Barnaby's team.

The team's next home opponent is M.I.T. on Tuesday. The match is scheduled for 3:45 p.m.