Little, Adams House Master, Succumbs to Heart Ailment

David M. Little '18, Secretary to the University and Master of Adams House, died late yesterday afternoon. Little, 57, succumbed to a heart attack at his home in Weston, Massachusetts.

Widely known and respected, Little was appointed Secretary to the University in 1936. Needing someone to assist him in the public relations of the University, President Emeritus James B. Conant '14, created the post of Secretary to the University. Little was the first man to hold the position.

In 1938, Little assumed new administrative duties, becoming the Master of Adams House.

His career combined scholarship with administrative work. An authority of eighteenth century English literature, Little was particularly interested in the work of David Garrick.

Palamountain Praises Little

Although he held many University offices, Little was particularly respected by the members of Adams House. Joseph C. Palamountain, Jr., Allston Burr Senior Tutor for Adams, praised Little last night, saying, "In spite of his many University assignments, he was extremely interested in the House and always had time for students." It was legend among Adams men that Little knew every man in the House by their first names as soon as they were admitted to the House.

Little was born in Marblehead, Mass., on July 27. 1896. He entered the Coolege in 1914.

After serving as an ensign in the Navy during the First World War, he resumed his studies at Harvard in 1919, and was awarded an A.M. in 1922 and a Ph.D. in 1935.

As an undergraduate, he was President of the CRIMSON, President of the University Register Boards, and Vice-President of the Harvard Union.

Little is survived by his wife, four children, seven grandchildren, three sisters, and a brother.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced.