McInnis Will Shift Crimson Infield For Game Against Princeton Today

By Jack Rosenthal

There will be a shift in the balance of power this May Day afternoon at Soldiers Field. For at 3 p.m., when the varsity baseball team takes the field against Princeton, Coach Stuffy McInnis will be experimenting with his third major lineup change of the season, still seeking a combination both offensively and defensively consistent.

While pitching is no longer a pressing problem, and hitting has been adequate tightening up the infield has proved difficult, and to this end McInnis has revised his combination, while emphasizing defensive work.

Cleary Goes to Third

So, starting at first, replacing slumping John Maher, will be either pitcher-out-fielder Bill Chauncey or outfielder George Anderson. Dick Hoffman will start at second after recovering from a pulled leg music, allowing Bill Cleary to shift to third, taking over for Ray Maesaka, who was charged with two damaging errors in Thursday's 2 to 1 loss to B.U. Hal "Bones" McKinney will again start at short, while Ed Krinsky is nursing an injured leg.

Dick Scheer, Don Butters, and Jim Rahal will hold down starting posts in the outfield, and Dick Clasby is expected to open behind the plate.

Strong Pitching Staff

As for pitching, the mound staff is probably at top strength now, for number one hurler Andy Ward has recovered from a sore arm developed two weeks ago, and will probably start against the Tigers. McInnis now has at least three proven starters in reserve--senior John Cooke and surprising sophomores Ken Rossano and Bob Kessler.

Unless Ward is fully recovered, one or more of these may see action, for Princeton, predominantly a junior and sophomore team last year, is experienced. The Tiger lineup will include football players Bill Agnew at first base, and tailback Royce Flippin at second.

Coach Norm Shepard's JVs will do their May Day celebrating at Andover in a 2:30 p.m. game.