Newby Denies There Will Be Job Shortage

Refutes Secretary of Labor; Predicts No Change for '54

Assistant Director of Student Placement Louis L. Newby, Jr., yesterday refuted a warning from Secretary of Labor James P. Mitchell that the 1954 labor market will not be hungry for the college graduate.

"As far as our graduates are concerned," Newby said, "This year's job opportunities will be just as good as last year's or perhaps better."

Mitchell made his statement in the annual "Outlook For Youth" number of the Employment Security Review, which was issued last Friday with the 1954 edition of "Job Guide For Young Workers." Mitchell stated that this year's graduate "will more than likely have to compete with his classmates in seeking a job."

Newby said that some fields, including engineering, chemistry, and banking will have many more openings this year than usual. In addition, approximately the same number of students have been taken into executive training programs by the larger companies.

No Change

"I expect there will be no change in the relatively small number of opportunities available in the glamor fields either. Fields like advertising and foreign trade are always difficult to get into anyway," Newby added.

Mitchell's statement that the job shortage may be a blessing in disguise to 1954 graduates since "the temptation to cash in on an immediately remunerative job, whether or not it fits into a chosen course or will further a career goal, will not be so great.

About 45 percent of each senior class applies for jobs at the Student Placement Office each year. The remainder of the class, Newby said, are usually either committed to ROTC programs or plan to go on to graduate schools.