'57 Nine Faces BU After 4-3 Defeat

Three Yardling errors helped give the Brown freshman baseball team a 4 to 3 victory over the '57 team here yesterday. The defeat brings the team's record to five wins and three losses.

The freshmen will try for their sixth victory today against Boston University in a game scheduled for 3:45 p.m. at Soldiers Field. Meanwhile, the Yardling "B" team meets Middlesex at Concord and the J.V.s face Nichols Junior College at Dudley.

Yesterday's freshman loss was the first in four games for pitcher Joel Bernstein. He allowed only five hits and one earned run in nine innings.

Brown opened scoring in the first inning on an error by outfielder Tony Markella and a Brown single, but the Crimson came back to tie the score in its half of the inning when Bob Barnett tripled and John Simourian singled him in.

Brown clinched the game in the seventh when, trailing 3-2, it scored two runs. With the bases loaded and two out, Bruin clean-up battor Bob Garrett singled in both the tieing and winning tallies.

In today's games, only the JVs enter their game with a losing record. They have yet to win, after two losses and a tie. The freshman "B" team won its only game, with Belmont Hill.