Three Claverly Entries Will Eat Nearer Home

Claverly residents who are members of Dunster, Kirkland, and Leverett Houses will be able to breakfast closer to their beds next fall, the Committee on Houses ruled this week.

Men assigned to Dunster and Leverett may cat their morning meal in Adams, while those belonging to Kirkland will be accepted at Lowell. Students in the Winthrop and Eliot entries of Claverly members of Adams and Lowell.

John H. Finley '25, Master of Eliot, noted, "If the Winthrop fellows are going to breakfast at Winthrop, I can't see that Eliot is much farther."

New Rules Compromise

It could not be learned whether Claverly breakfast policy was determined by the individual Housemasters under whose jurisdiction the different entries in the dormitories fall. The Committee on Houses, which passed the measure, is made up of the seven Housemasters and the Deans of the College.

The new regulations are a compromise upon the proposal to allow Claverly residents to sign off breakfasts because the Square is closer to the dorm than most of the Houses. A Claverly petition to permit such a release from breakfast board charges was vetoed before spring vacation by Lehman Hall officials because of the extra bookkeeping involved in such an arrangement. The Student Council passed the plan earlier in the term.

Prompted by Martin

The present program was passed upon a Council recommendation which was in turn prompted by a statement from the Adams House steward, Robert T. Martin. Martin showed that there would be no additional expense in having Claverly students breakfast in Houses other than those to which they are assigned. The new plan will merely become part of the regular inter-House eating system.

Leigh Hoadley, Master of Leverett House, said, "I'm in favor of everybody eating everywhere, but it's not a great advantage." As far as Leverett men in Claverly are concerned, he remarked, "I don't think the new plan will be used much. If a fellow can get up to go to Adams, he can walk the extra block down here."