Cooney Tops Play In New Englands

"Being medalist doesn't mean a thing if you don't win the tournament," the varsity's number one golfer, Ted Cooney, said last week. To back this up, Cooney won medal play in the New England Intercollegiates Saturday and beat Holy Cross' John Tosca, Jr., 7 and 6 yesterday to win the tournament title.

In team play the varsity's total score put the golfers in fourth place, only three strokes behind first place Connecticut and Dartmouth and Williams golfers, who tied for second, with 301s.

Only Cooney and Thurmond qualified for individual play, but after the drawing for places Cooney was forced to play Thurmond, whom he beat. Although Cooney only played out the qualifying round, he was five under par for the 74 holes he completed.

Sophomore Dick Savrann played for Captain Jack Brophy, who wasn't allowed to play because he has turned professional. In qualifying play Cooney shot a 71, Thurmond a 74, Bill McAllister 77, Jim Jones 86, Dick Savrann 80, and Kent Brown, after posting a 10 on the first hole, finished with a 91.