Nine Awaits Brandeis Game Following 5-2 Loss to Yale

After failing, by a 5 to 2 score, to tie Yale for fourth place in the Eastern league baseball standings Saturday, the varsity baseball nine returns to Greater Boston competition today at 3:45 p.m. when it meets Brandeis at Soldiers Field.

At least the Crimson is hoping to meet Brandeis, for after two previous games with the Judges were rained out, occasional showers are again predicted.

It was the inability to take full advantage of breaks, however, rather than rain, that hindered the varsity Saturday at New Haven. Coach Stuffy McInnis' team opened the scoring in the second, when George McDonald slammed the first of his two triples to score Don Butters, who had walked. But McDonald was stranded as Yale starter Ken MacKenzie retired the side.

Yale tied the score in the third, and moved ahead 2 to 1 in the fifth, when husky Eli first baseman Huge Guidotti slammed a homer over the right field fence. Then Andy, Ward, McInni's mound starter, weakened, and gave up two runs in the sixth, making the score 4 to 1 for Yale.

The Crimson started to rally in the seventh, however, when George Anderson tripled, and Butters laced out a run-scoring double. But the varsity's scoring ended there, and the Elis added their final run in the bottom of the inning, and the Crimson went hitless for the rest of the game.

Same Lineup Today

No changes in the Crimson lineup are expected this afternoon. McDonald should start behind the plate, Anderson at first, Bill Cleary at second, Art Noyes at short, and Ray Maesaka or Jim Rahal at third. Veteran Ed Krinsky opened at shortstop Saturday, but his still-weak leg forced him to retire in favor of Noyes. Rahal played third at New Haven. It is doubtful whether Krinsky's knee will allow him to play much today either.

The outfield of Dick Scheer, Butters, and Bill Chauncey should remain intact, and on the mound, McInnis is expected to use either John cooke or surprisingly reliable sophomore Bob Kessler. If needed, McInnis could also start another sophomore, Ned Felton.

Also this afternoon, the junior varsity nine plays Newton Junior College.