Varsity Baseball Nine Faces Northeastern Here at 3:45

A baseball lineup that ought to hit but hasn't meet Northeastern on Soldiers Field at 3:45 this afternoon. John Cooke, who relieved briefly in a losing cause against Brandels on Monday, is stated to pitch.

But if his mates don't hit any better than they did two days ago, or four days ago for that matter, Cooke might just as well not take the mound.

With his back repaired and some powerful pinch-hitting behind him, George Anderson has taken over the clean-up spot and first base. Bill Chauncey, batting second and playing center field, has shown also in pinch roles that he has just as much power potential.

Captain Dick Scheer, leading off, had two hits against Brandeis, and catcher George MacDonald, hitting sixth, reached Yale pitching for two triples last week.

But right fielder Don Butters and third baseman Ray Maosaka, fifth and sixth in the lineup, have been just sporadic enough in their runs batted in to leave something to be desired. And second baseman Bill Cleary, a good third hitter, hasn't been able to connect lately.

Ed Krinsky's ankle is still in bad shape, so Art Noyes will remain at shortstop. But fielding is not the problem. The varsity had only three runs against Brandeis and two against Yale in its Monday and Saturday games.

In addition, it received a dozen walks against the Judges and still couldn't out score them. But the Brandeis pitcher gave Northeastern 19 passes. On this common ground, perhaps the Crimson will explode this afternoon.