Brown Organizes Group To Raise Theatre Funds

Leading Stage Figures Form Organization In New York City

The first main step in the financial drive toward a Harvard theatre was taken recently with the formation of a tentative working committee in New York, John Mason Brown '23, revealed yesterday.

Composed largely of leading theatrical figures among the alumni, the group was formed a few weeks ago and has already had one meeting.

Brown said the group would not begin its solicitation of funds until other local committees and a National Executive committee had been formed. The group also feels it wise to postpone the main fund-raising campaign until a sizable initial contribution has been made.

On the local scene, Harry T. Levin, professor of English and a member of the Faculty Committee on the Theatre, said he knew nothing about the formation of a Boston committee to which Brown re-referred. "We're babes in the woods as far as this fund raising goes," he added.

In addition to Brown, the New York committee consists of Richard C. Aldrich '31, producer; Robert W. Anderson '39, playwright; Robert E. Sherwood '18, playwright; Donald M. Oenslager '23, designer; Curt H. Reisinger '12; Vinton Freedly '14, producer; Leonard H. Goldenson '27, president of Paramount Pictures; Nathaniel Benchley '38; Paul M. Hollister '13; and Donald S. Stralem '24, investment banker.

Two Radcliffe alumnae, actresses Josephine Hull and Dorothy Sands, are also members of the group.

Early in February, Brown met with Levin, Bundy, Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, and members of the Undergraduate Theatre Committee to discuss the drive and related matters, but this is the first that has been heard from any of these since.