Law Student Chosen Foreign Scholarships Board Representative

Roger A. Moore '53 IL, former President of the Young Republican Club and a director of the Salzburg Seminar, yesterday became the first student to sit as a member on the government's Board of Foreign Scholarships.

The ten-man administration-appointed board includes among its membership five college presidents and Samuel M. Brownell, United States Commissioner of Education. Frederick L. Hovde, president of Purdue University is chairman of the group, while Margaret Clapp, president of Wellesley, is vice-chairman.

The board, which annually administers approximately 21 million dollars, holds final responsibility for the selection of all Fulbright Scholars.

The State Department group is also responsible for the administration of funds under the Smith-Mundt Act. This Act provides for foreign students studying in the United States.

Moore served during the 1952 Presidential campaign as college director of the Young Republican National Federation. In this position he was responsible for mock conventions in several colleges. Moore is at present vice-chairman of the same group.