Hockey Drive Has $288,646 Toward Cover

The "Working Friends of Harvard Hockey" have collected more than 80 percent of the $350,000 needed to build an arena around the Soldiers Field hockey rink, it was announced yesterday

Alexander H. Bright '19, a leader of the fund drive which was begun last summer, reported that the "Working Friends" now stand only $61,354 short of their goal. He pointed out, however, that the organization is working against a deadline of August 1.

This deadline, Bright explained, is presumably attached to the largest single gift toward the arena, a sum of $100,000 that was offered last November by John W. Watson '22, who died this spring. Watson originally made his gift on the conditions that all the money for the arena would be raised and construction plans under way by the beginning of August, 1954.

Offers $100,000

Asked whether the deadline can be met, Bright last night commented, "It is a normal assumption that Harvard men will finish what they set out to do." And Edward L. Bigelow '21, another leader of the fund drive, said there is "a good chance" that the goal will be attained in time "providing that the Watson gift holds sound."

Watson's recent death raised a legal question in the financing of the arena. Before the present ice surface of the rink was constructed last year, he had offered the University the same $100,000 to help buy the Boston Arena for the use of College hockey teams. At the time, he stipulated, however, that the arena be named for his brother, Donald C. Watson '15, a former Crimson football star who died in 1951.

Bright yesterday would not say if Watson's gift is still contingent on the naming of the new building, or whether the alumnus's will still maintains the August 1 deadline.

The proposed arena would presumably be ready for next winter's hockey season if it were started in August. Besides providing a weatherproof roof for the ice, it would seat 2,000 spectators and include dressing rooms for the teams.

The "Working Friends of Harvard Hockey" is an alumni group made up of ex-hockey lettermen from practically every College class since 1920.

But by now most of the likely contributors to the fund have been approached at least once, Bigelow said last night. A "new source of money" will therefore be needed to raise the remaining $61,354, he added.