Wilde Wins Darcey Trophy; Kirk, Culbert, Neaman Score

First year law student Derrick Wilde wen the Darcey Memorial Cup for the second year in the finals of the 1954 University Sculling Regatta held yesterday afternoon on a smooth Charles River.

Wilde was one of six other victors in the regattas. Four of them are pictured above standing on the balcony of Weld Boathouse: (from left to right) senior Richard Kirk, winner of the half mile 155 pound single scull race; junior Kon Culbert, who took the three-quarter mile junior singles duel; Wilde; and freshman Pete Neaman, first in the novice single race over a half mile course.

The other winners were sophomore Bernard Flynn in the compromise class and senior Mike Leonard in the wherry race.

After his victory over the mile course Wilde was presented with an eight inch scale model of a singles scull. His winning time was 6:38.2. Last year he covered the championship course in a clocking of 6:35, which was 13 seconds above the University record of 6:22.

Dan Jomo 2G was runner-up behind Wilde in the senior division. Second place in the junior singles race went to junior Pete Alden. Senior Willard Nason finished behind Kirk in the 155 pound class and freshman Al Neaman took second in the novice singles.