Conductor at Boston Conservatory To Lead Pierian Sodality Orchestra

Attilio Poto, conductor of the Boston Conservatory of Music orchestra, will replace Richard Burgin as conductor of the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra next fall, John D. Martz '55, president of the orchestra, announced yesterday.

Burgin resigned after one year as conductor because commitments with the Boston Symphony, the New England Conservatory, and other groups forced him to miss orchestra rehearsals.

The appointment of Poto followed interviews with half a dozen prominent Boston musicians. Martz explained that the new conductor, who is in his mid-thirties, was selected on the basis of his age, interest in students, and professional background.

Native of Boston

Poto's conducting experience includes three seasons with the Massachusetts State Symphony, a short period as head of the Air Force Symphonietta, and occasional Broadway performances of two Menotti opera twin-ball "The Telephone" and "The Medium on Broadway.

A native of Boston, Mr. Poto studied conducting under Koussevitsky, Leon Barzun, and Stanley Chappel. Before joining the Boston Conservatory is played clarinet in the Boston Symphony for three seasons.

Martz thanked Burgin for his work with the orchestra. "One year under him has been wonderful," Martz said, "but since he could not stay, we hope to gain in Mr. Poto a man with similar professional standards and with time to meet the demands of the orchestra."